Georgia is one of the states that allow for no-fault divorce, which means a couple can file for divorce citing that the marriage has irretrievably broken down. However, there are also specific grounds for divorce, such as desertion, adultery, and cruelty. The circumstances surrounding a divorce can be different for each couple. Regardless of where you stand in terms of agreement with your spouse, you definitely need a Winder divorce lawyer by your side. In this post, we are sharing more on selecting a divorce lawyer in Georgia.
Before you talk to any family law attorney in Georgia, you need to understand their role in your divorce. Yes, a divorce lawyer can offer mental support, but their key role is to advise you on your rights and important matters, and they will help with negotiation, mediation, and all other legal processes. Most divorce lawyers want clients to settle matters as amicably as possible, within the scope of laws. However, don’t expect your lawyer to listen to your pain or worries. They are not your therapist.
When you meet a divorce lawyer for the first time, it’s the right time for a few rapid-fire questions. Here is a quick list –
- Do you handle family law cases in particular?
- What percentage of your practice is dedicated to divorce matters?
- Will you work on my case personally?
- How can I communicate with you on important matters?
- What is your hourly rate?
- What are the expected costs in this divorce, other than your fee?
- What do you think is the best possible route to finalize the divorce?
- Will you negotiate with my spouse directly?
- What do you think will be the tax effects of this divorce?
Many family law attorneys charge a high hourly rate, but only their associates or junior lawyers work on the case. Ensure that you don’t make that mistake. A lawyer you pay for should be the one working with you.
Share what you want
Let your attorney know of your expectations. If you don’t intend to agree on selected matters such as division of assets or parenting plan, let your family law attorney know in advance. They can negotiate and work accordingly.
Being transparent with your lawyer will come in handy in easing the legal processes. Also, you need someone with experience. Do check if a law firm has good reviews from other clients, and yes, ask for a few references.